top of page

Types of Assistance Available for Vermonters with Storm Damage

Types of assistance available for Vermonters with storm damage Vermont residents should apply for assistance to help recover from damage inflicted by Tropical Storm Irene as soon as possible. Some types of assistance have fixed deadlines that are fast approaching while others will simply be available on a first come first serve basis. 1. FEMA Individuals, municipalities, non-profit organizations and small businesses suffering damage from Irene should contact FEMA as soon as possible. You must register with FEMA no matter what you believe the extent of your personal damage is. With flooding, problems like mold can appear years later and be very detrimental for homes. Register by calling toll-free 800-621-FEMA (3362), on line at or via a web-enabled mobile device at Multilingual registration assistance is available if needed. Those with a speech disability or hearing loss who use a TTY can call 800-462-7585 directly; or 800-621-3362 if using 711 or Video Relay Service. Those who have questions about disaster assistance can call 800-621-3362 and select the “help” option. The deadline for applying for organizations applying for infrastructure assistance through FEMA is October 17th.   Download a copy of FEMA’s Request for Public Assistance form. For individuals, the deadline for applying for FEMA assistance is October 30th.  Read FEMA’s Fact Sheet for Public Assistance and Private Non-Profits 2. Vermont 2-1-1 Simply dial “211” to reach this referral service available to all Vermonters to help direct callers to the best source of information or assistance needed. Calling 2-1-1 is not the same as calling FEMA, however, so please call both if you are in need due to Tropical Storm Irene. 3. U.S. Small Business Administration (SBA) SBA is offering low-interest rate loans for repair of Vermont homes and business damaged by the storm. However, applicants must first register with FEMA to obtain a FEMA Registration ID Number before submitting their SBA application. The deadline for applying for SBA loans is October 31st.  Find out how to apply for an SBA loan. 4. Vermont Association of Realtors The Vermont Association of REALTORS® (VAR) has partnered with the National Association of REALTORS® REALTOR® Relief Fund (RRF) to bring disaster housing assistance to those affected by Tropical Storm Irene.   Read more about applying for this assistance. 5. Volunteer services from Vermont architects The Vermont chapter of the American Institute of Architects has assembled a list of members who are individually volunteering pro-bono services to victims of tropical storm Irene.  Read more. 6. Housing vacancies and other resources Shortly after the storm, Vermont Housing Finance Agency created a portal designed to help residents who need to relocate their home, either temporarily or in the longer run, due to Tropical Storm Irene. This portal includes vacancies from the Vermont Directory of Affordable Rental Housing in buildings subsidized through public programs. Even though these units are usually targeted at lower income households, many are temporarily available to households displaced by Tropical Storm Irene, regardless of income. Go to the Vermont Housing Vacancy Portal

1 view0 comments

Recent Posts

See All


Please visit our new Housing & Homelessness Alliance of Vermont website at!

bottom of page