top of page

Irene Recovery Update: Deadlines & SBA


Individual homeowners, renters, businesses, or others who suffered losses as a result of flooding at the end of August are eligible for assistance to repair homes or to recover other losses.   Even if the damage is minor, or if you are unsure whether damage will be covered by federal grants, individuals should apply ASAP.

To register for Individual Assistance disaster assistance, call 800-621-FEMA (3362). Those with a speech disability or hearing loss who use a TTY can call 800-462-7585 directly, or 800-621-3362, if using 711 or Video Relay Service. Registration can also be done online anytime or through web-enables mobile phone devices or smartphones at

To register for Public Assistance: Communities that suffered damage in the floods should submit their application for Public Assistance to the Vermont Agency of Transportation. FEMA will provide at least 74% reimbursement for storm response and recovery costs for municipalities. Regional planning commissions, the Vermont Agency of Transportation, and PA specialists from FEMA can help with the application process.


It is very important that anyone who has been issued a SMALL BUSINESS ADMINISTRATION APPLICATION to complete and submit it.

SBA offers resources for homeowners and renters in addition to businesses and submitting an application may lead to additional grant or low-interest assistance.  It is also critical for applicants to know that they have an option of appealing and should pursue it. These are not just for small businesses, but homeowners and renters too. People should apply even if they think they can’t afford a loan as this may open the way for further grant funds from FEMA.

The extension of the application deadline was made public today and is now NOVEMBER 15, 2011.

A list of commonly asked questions and responses is attached.   Additional questions may be directed to SBA staff at one of the Disaster Recovery Centers, to local Small Business Development Center Counselors or the SBA Help line at 1-800-659-2955.

Disaster Recovery Centers are located in the following municipalities:

  1. Rutland Heart Center: 1 Commons Street – Rutland, VT  05701

  2. Dover Town Hall: 120 Taft Brook Road – Dover, VT  05341

  3. Waterbury Fire Department: 43 South Main Street – Waterbury, VT  05676

The DRCs are open from 9:00AM until 5:00PM – Monday through Saturday.

1 view0 comments

Recent Posts

See All


Please visit our new Housing & Homelessness Alliance of Vermont website at!

bottom of page