top of page

Irene Disaster Relief Updates

Irene Disaster Recovery Update IMPORTANT NOTICES

  1. Deadlines are approaching for Irene assistance:

  2. October 7th – FEMA deadline for unemployment assistance

  3. October 17th – Towns and non-profits must register with FEMA for public assistance with infrastructure.

  4. October 30th – Individuals need to register with FEMA by this date, even if they believe they don’t need help now.

  5. Calling 211 is not the same as registering with FEMA – please do both.

  6. October 31st – U.S. Small Business Administration Assistance deadline. This is not only for businesses but can be for homeowners incurring $30,000+ in damages.

  7. Vermonters may appeal FEMA decisions

  8. You MUST register with FEMA no matter what you believe the extent of your personal damage is.  With flooding problems like mold can appear years later and be very detrimental for homes.


FEMA FACT SHEET FOR INDIVIDUALS FEMA FACT SHEET FOR PUBLIC ASSISTANCE AND PRIVATE NON-PROFITS FEMA Pushed October 1st Deadline for Government Agencies and Non-Profits to October 17th for Infrastructure Assistance September 29, 2011 The deadline for government agencies and certain private non-profit organizations needing funds to rebuild infrastructure damages caused by hurricane Irene to register with FEMA is extended to October 17th for all Vermont Counties.FEMA’s Public Assistance (Infrastructure) program reimburses state and municipal governments for the cost of eligible emergency protective measures, debris removal, and the repair, restoration, reconstruction or replacement of public infrastructure such as roads and bridges, water control facilities, public buildings and contents, public utilities and parks, and other recreational facilities damaged during a disaster.   FEMA will fund up to 75 percent of the cost of approved projects Registering with FEMA does not obligate you to accept the assistance. If you miss the deadline however, you will not be eligible for consideration of disaster relief funding Some private non-profit organizations may qualify for aid to restore certain types of facilities that include educational, utility, emergency, medical, custodial care, and other facilities that provide essential government types of services.   FEMA, working with the Vermont Agency of Transportation, will make a determination if the services provided by private non-profit organizations are critical or non-critical. If FEMA determines that the services provided are non-critical, you will be required to exhaust assistance from SBA before being considered for assistance from FEMA Download a copy of FEMA’s Request for Public Aassistance form. The completed form should be faxed to 802-828-2848. If you need assistance in completing the form, please contact:  Alec Portalupi: 802-828-3889, email: or Gary Schelley: 802-828-0425, email: For more information about this type of assistance, read FEMA’s Fact Sheet for Public Assistance and Private Non-Profits or visit a Disaster Recovery Center near you. Directory of FEMA/SBA Disaster Recovery Centers Mon – Sat; 8AM to 6PM,  Sun; 12PM – 6PM


Individuals and Small-Businesses needing funds for housing related expense or to rebuild after damages caused by hurricane Irene must register with FEMA no later than Oct. 31, 2011. If you have not yet registered, please do so by visiting or by calling 1-800-621-3362. Disaster assistance for Individuals may include grants to help pay for temporary housing, home repairs, and other serious disaster-related expenses not covered by insurance and other sources. There are no income limits when applying for FEMA emergency status. If you are an individual and you have received an SBA disaster loan application in the mail, it is important to fill it out and return it. You are not obligated to accept a loan, however filling out an application will determine your eligibility for a loan should you need additional compensation above the currently allocated grant amount. If you do not qualify for a loan, you will be referred back to FEMA and could receive additional grant money. Small-Businesses are encouraged to register with FEMA and encouraged to complete an SBA disaster loan application.  In addition, Small-Businesses needing assistance should contact The Vermont Economic Development Authority (VEDA) at 802-828-5627 or visit  Small-Businesses should also visit or call 802-828-3211 to learn more about possible grant or low interest loan programs. Registering with FEMA does not obligate you to accept assistance.  If you miss the deadline however, you will not be eligible for consideration of disaster relief funding. Please register no later than Oct. 31, 2011 with or by calling 1-800-621-3362 FEMA Deadlines


U.S. Small Business Administration (SBA) upcoming deadlines for nonprofit organizations to apply for disaster assistance Please click here to learn more about how this determination may be made and the assistance available from SBA. U.S. Small Business Administration Assistance If you suffered physical damage and are directed to SBA for assistance you have until October 31, 2011 to return your application. If you suffered only economic injury you have until June 1, 2012 to return your application. Disaster loan information and application forms may be obtained by calling the SBA’s Customer Service Center at 800-659-2955 (800-877-8339 for the hearing-impaired) Monday through Friday from 8 a.m. to 8 p.m., Sat/Sun 9 a.m. to 5:30 p.m. ET or by sending an email to Applications can also be downloaded from Completed applications should be mailed to: U.S. Small Business Administration, Processing and Disbursement Center, 14925 Kingsport Road, Fort Worth, TX 76155. Private Non-Profits (PNPs) affected by the disaster may also apply for disaster loans electronically from SBA’s website at Assistance in completing an SBA application is also available at any of the Disaster Recovery Centers. SBA representatives there can guide you through the requirements for Private Non-Profits.


FEMA News Release: Vermonters May Appeal FEMA Decisions Don’t be discourages, if you believe you should be eligible for assistance or are dissatisfied with the amount you receive, you may call FEMA’s Helpline for information on how to file an appeal. Specialists are available from 7 a.m. to 10 p.m. every day at 1-800-621-FEMA (3362). Those with a speech disability or hearing loss who use a TTY can call 800-462-7585 directly; or 800-621-3362 if using 711 or Video Relay Service. Some applications are simply being denied for missing signatures and would be approved upon review.


Vermont Housing Task Force Seeks Those in Need of Housing and Available Housing Units September 26, 2011 Hundreds of Vermonters are still without a permanent place to live after their homes were destroyed by flooding caused by Tropical Storm Irene at the end of August.  Many of these individuals are currently in temporary housing – staying with friends and family, or in hotels with help from FEMA or the Red Cross.  These are only short term solutions and each of these Vermonters need a more permanent place to live. The Irene Housing Task Force urges anyone displaced from their home and needing help finding housing now, or may in the weeks and months to come, to register with  FEMA.   The number is 1-800-621-3362 (1-800-FEMA) or visit In addition to providing information about possible grants and other assistance, a FEMA representative will help individuals find housing.  The Irene Housing Task Force is working with FEMA on identifying every available unit in the state.  All individuals impacted by the storm should take the time to register, even if they are unsure that they qualify, for grant or loan assistance.  Registering with FEMA will also allow Vermonters to access possible resources in the event that their living situation changes at any time before they find permanent housing. The IHTF is asking everyone who has rental housing available to contact FEMA at 866-330-5286 so they and FEMA can match people with available units.


Mobile homes were among the hardest hit by Tropical Storm Irene September 27, 2011 Tropical Storm Irene wrecked havoc on many of Vermont’s mobile homes and mobile home parks. Since they are more affordable than most other types of owner occupies housing, mobile homes residents are more likely to be lower income and lack the resources needed to repair or in some cases remove their homes. Vermont Public Radio Story Burlington Free Press Article State Officials: Mobile home disposal cost will be $1,500 under post-Irene plan September 22, 2011 Lt. Governor Phil Scott and Lawrence Miller, Secretary of Commerce and Community Development, have been talking with private-sector partners for the last several days to nail down the framework for the plan, which they say offers a quick, responsible and affordable solution to a problem facing nearly 150 mobile home owners in more than a dozen parks around the state. Full Article


Congressman Welch Forms Bipartisan Irene Coalition September 14, 2011 After Hurricane Irene caused widespread damage in 12 states, Rep. Welch formed the Hurricane Irene Coalition. A bipartisan group of over 50 lawmakers whose districts were affected by the storm, the coalition is now working together to ensure that FEMA has the resources it needs to help states like Vermont recover. The Coalition recently met with FEMA Administrator Craig Fugate to get an update on recovery efforts and is urging House leaders to ensure FEMA is fully funded.


­­­­­­ More Resources for Vermonters Congressman Welch Resource Guide for Vermonters recovering from Tropical Storm Irene As Vermonters work to recover from Tropical Storm Irene, there are a number of resources that you or someone you know may find helpful. Visit for information on assistance available to individuals, businesses, farmers, and municipalities, a list of counties eligible for individual and public assistance, and a list of FEMA Disaster Recovery Centers around the state. If you need additional assistance,  please contact our office at (888) 605-7270. Multi-Family Rental Repair Program The State of Vermont, in partnership with FEMA, is looking for multi-family properties uninhabitable before the storms OR not damaged by these storms, preferably with a minimum of four units, that with some improvements, could accommodate Vermonters needing housing as a result of Tropical Storm Irene. This unique opportunity will allow FEMA to fund rehabilitation activities for eligible properties that will, in turn, be made available to those displaced by the storm. FEMA will work directly with property owners to determine the cost of repair and the costs of repair will be deducted from the monthly rents. For more information, please contact Christian Oakes at Efficiency Vermont Helps Homeowners and Businesses with FREE Flood Repair Assessments, Air Sealing, Appliance Rebates, and More Efficiency Vermont assessments, air sealing and other measures are available for a limited time. Limited funding is available for the rebates that will be provided on a first-received basis. More information can be found by contacting Efficiency Vermont at 888-921-5990 or Community leaders in flood-affected areas who want to schedule workshops are encouraged to contact Liz Schlegel of CVCAC at 802-477-5237 or For more information about all of Efficiency Vermont’s services to help Vermonters with Tropical Storm Irene recovery, visit, or call toll-free 888-921-5990. Full Information Protect Yourself Against Fraud – Be Vermont Smart Not everyone really wants to help – Follow these steps before you hire someone to clear or repair your home or property:

  1. Hire someone you know. Ask friends, family, neighbors for names and phone numbers of people they would hire to work for them.

  2. Get a written estimate and read the fine print

  3. Ask if they have insurance and see a certificate

  4. Pay by check

If you think, feel, or suspect you’re being taken advantage of call the Consumer Assistance Program: 800-649-2424 or dial 2-1-1


Increase in CY2011 Funding Allocation from HUD, Vermont State Housing Authority may have funding to serve an additional 140 Households Due to an increase in the CY2011 funding allocation from HUD, Vermont State Housing Authority may have the ability to serve an additional, approximate 140 households. VSHA proposes to use this funding to serve displaced individuals and families affected by Hurricane Irene in Vermont. As such, these public notices (available at under “Informational Resources”) serve two purposes: 1. Proposal to establish a new Presidentially Declared Disaster Preference; and 2. Proposal to open the VSHA Section 8 Housing Choice Voucher waitlist to serve households that are eligible for the Presidentially Declared Disaster Preference. In addition, it is anticipated that VSHA may be able to serve some additional households, with other preferences, who are already on the VSHA Sect. 8 HCV waitlist. For additional information, call 802-828-3295 (voice); 800-798-3118 (TTY); 800-820-5119 (messages). Equal Housing Opportunity Vermont State Housing Authority Section 8 Housing Choice Voucher Program

5 views0 comments

Recent Posts

See All

Out of Storm and Peril: Rental Housing Safety in Vermont

“Out of storm and manifold perils rose an enduring state, the home of freedom and unity.” These words are the epitaph printed on the gravestone of the first Governor of Vermont, Thomas Chittenden. The


Please visit our new Housing & Homelessness Alliance of Vermont website at!

bottom of page