Champlain Housing Trust recognizes Sanders, McClure, Kemp
(Category: Charitable Giving. Added/edited: Feb 10, 2009.)
"BURLINGTON – The Champlain Housing Trust presented affordable housing champion awards to Sen. Bernie Sanders, D-Vt., [hilanthropist Lois McClure and cooperative housing advocate Richard Kemp at its annual meeting, held Jan. 31.
The event was attended by 150 members of the Housing Trust.
• US Senator Bernie Sanders was presented with CHT’s Tim McKenzie Award, named for the organization’s first Executive Director, for his commitment to the community land trust model for nearly 30 years in public office. The Champlain Housing Trust’s predecessors, the Burlington Community Land Trust and Lake Champlain Housing, were both created under the Sanders Administration while mayor of Burlington in 1984. Since then, Sanders has effectively advocated for investment in permanently affordable housing programs and organizations.
• Lois H. McClure, of Shelburne, was recognized with the Hilton A. Wick Award for her fundraising and advocacy leadership. McClure recently completed payment of a $1 million pledge to CHT’s endowment, and secured an additional $500,000 to the fund. The Hilton A. Wick Award memorializes the efforts of Hilton Wick, a tireless campaigner for several community causes.
• Flynn Avenue Co-op (Burlington) resident Richard T. Kemp was recognized with the Carole Pack Volunteer of the Year Award. Kemp represents cooperative housing residents on CHT’s Board of Directors and has been a community activist agitating for more affordable housing over many years. He also represented CHT residents and the Board at this year’s United Nations World Habitat Day celebration in Angola where CHT was presented with a World Habitat Award.
At the Annual Meeting, members also elected six Board members:
• L. Randolph Amis as a General Member
• Jane Kiser, a Public Member, representing the City of St. Albans
• Joe Reinert, a Public Member, representing the City of Burlington
• Adam Piper, a CHT homeowner
• David McFeeters, a CHT homeowner
• Pamela James, a CHT renter"
Source: Burlington Free Press, February 3, 2009
- Groundbreaking Celebration Announced for August 12th (8/4/14)
- Dubie reconfirms meeting with affordable housing & homeless advocates (9/18/10)
- dubie cancels meeting with affordable housing and homeless advocates at last minute (9/17/10)
- Vt. landlords defend state's high rents (4/29/10)
- Squeeze: High rents, low wages (4/29/10)
- HUD and Treasury Seek Input on the Future of the Housing Finance System (4/26/10)