Dear Coalition Members and Friends,
This is a quick reminder for next Tuesday’s Annual Joint Meeting of the Vermont Affordable Housing Coalition and the Vermont Coalition to End Homelessness. After lunch, the VAHC Annual Meeting and the VCEH monthly meeting will be held concurrently at the same location:
Tuesday, September 20, 2016
9:30 AM – 2:30 PM
Old Labor Hall
46 Granite St, Barre, VT
We hope you or someone from your organization can attend!! We have some very special guests and exciting agenda items confirmed:
- Sue Minter, Democratic Party nominee for governor (at 9:45)
- Lt. Governor Phil Scott, Republican Party nominee for governor (at 10:30)
- Kate Ash (Sen. Leahy), Katarina Lisaius (Sen. Sanders) & Kevin Veller (Congr. Welch) will provide the latest updates from DC
- Jen Hollar (VHCB) & Angus Chaney (AHS) will give an overview and update on the important “Roadmap to End Homelessness” initiative
- Networking Lunch (at 12 noon, $5 donation requested)
- VAHC Annual Meeting (1:00 – 2:00) & VCEH Monthly Meeting (1:00 – 2:30)
Here is a detailed meeting agenda. Background materials will go out early next week.
We will meet with both major gubernatorial candidates separately to hear their thoughts on state policy and funding for affordable housing and homelessness and respond to questions from coalition members. We are providing both candidates with a set of questions to help them frame their remarks and prepare them for likely questions during Q & A.
VAHC STEERING COMMITTEE & OFFICER ELECTIONS
At the VAHC annual meeting, members will be electing a Steering Committee and officers for the 2016/17 year. We are fortunate to have six current members willing to continue serving. Vice Chair Chris Donnelly from the Champlain Housing Trust, who has served for seven years, will be stepping down, as will Elizabeth Bridgewater from the Windham & Windsor Housing Trust. We thank both for their valuable service to the Coalition.
The Coalition by-laws allow for up to nine people to serve on the Steering Committee. As a result, there are up to three potential vacancies on the Steering Committee. We are fortunate to have Alison Friedkin from Downstreet Housing & Community Development willing to join. That leaves another two potential seats open. Anyone who is interested should contact Chris at firstname.lastname@example.org, or Coalition Chair Ted Wimpey at email@example.com. The by-laws also permit nominations from the floor and call for direct election of officers by the membership. Unless further interested candidates emerge, the Steering Committee recommends that members elect the following slate:
- Ted Wimpey, Chair & Director, CVOEO Fair Housing Project
- Sara Kobylenski, Treasurer & Executive Director, Upper Valley Haven
- Cindy Reid, Secretary & Director of Development, Cathedral Square Corporation
- Ray Brewster, At Large Member & Independent Consultant
- Alison Friedkin, At Large Member & Director of Real Estate Development, Downstreet Housing & Community Development
- Loralee Morrow, At Large Member & Regional Planner, Two Rivers-Ottauquechee Regional Commission
- Tyler Sweeten, At Large Member & Peer Advocate Counselor Coordinator, VT Center for Independent Living
Click here for current Steering Committee bios and contact info.
DIRECTIONS TO OLD LABOR HALL: From I-89 North or South:
- Take Exit 7 onto Rte. 62 and follow the signs into Barre.
- At the 5th light (junction with Rte. 302), take a right onto Main Street.
- Turn right onto Granite Street (beside Peoples United Bank).
- The Old Labor Hall will be on your left after you cross the railroad tracks.
The parking lot of the Old Labor Hall is shared with a commercial granite company that requires transportation and shipping access during business hours. Parking is restricted for weekday use to areas closest to the OLH. Renters who block access may be asked to move. Street and metered parking is available in areas around the Hall.
We will *not* be offering a call-in option for this meeting, but will resume that at the regular monthly VAHC meeting on October 12 in Montpelier.
Hope to see you next Tuesday!